Taxonomy Strategies is based in Washington, DC. Founded by information scientists who met at Metacode Technologies, a start-up company that built the MetaTagger automated categorization solution acquired by Interwoven in 2001, Taxonomy Strategies has been involved in projects for government agencies including development of the content model for the official portal of the U.S. government usa.gov, and for international organizations such as the International Monetary Fund. A third area of leadership has been work on e-commerce merchandising taxonomies to enable cross-selling, up-selling and personalization by category rather than item.
Joseph Busch is an expert. Learn about Rosenfeld Media User Experience experts.
See some short videos that are part of a course on Information Architecture taught by Bob Boiko at the University of Washington:
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Play Green Chameleon Straits Knowledge video podcast "Taxonomy Development Process Case Studies" with Joseph Busch talking about different methods of taxonomy development.
Download CMSAdvisor Podcast "Taxonomy, Metadata, Cod Liver Oil & Guinness: Part 1" [MP3] and "Part 2" [MP3] in which Lisa Welchman (WelchmanPierpoint's Founding Partner) and Joseph Busch (Taxonomy Strategies' Founder) define the terms "taxonomy" and "metadata", and provide advice on advancing taxonomy efforts in your organization.
Read about Busch's golden law of facets, named for Joseph Busch (Taxonomy Strategies' Founder), described in Steve Papas' article "The Faceted Navigation and Search Revolution" [PDF] originally published in KM World (April 2006)
Download Taxonomy Strategies 2014 holiday card. Interior of the Paw Paw Tunnel, milepost 155.2, Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, near Paw Paw, West Virginia. Photo by: Joseph Busch (September 5, 2014).
Read The Semantic Puzzle blog post "American Physical Society Taxonomy – Case Study" about Taxonomy Strategies' work to develop a new faceted classification scheme.
Taxonomy Strategies 2015 presentations:
- "Big Metadata Toolkits: Pattern Analysis and Categorization Components" Joseph Busch, Principal, Taxonomy Strategies at Text Analytics World in San Francisco, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2015, 11:15AM - 12:00PM.
- "How Have Global Classification Systems Inspired Content organization on the Web" Joseph Busch, Principal, Taxonomy Strategies at ISKO-UK Biennial Conference in London, UK on July 13-14, 2015.
Taxonomy Strategies 2014 presentations:
- "Role of Metadata in Data Programs" [PDF] Joseph Busch, presenter in: Statewide Transportation Data and Information Systems Committee session at Transportation Research Board 93rd Annual Meeting in Washington, DC on Monday, January 13, 2014, 8:00AM - 12:00PM.
- "Metadata Strategies: An Information Management Perspective" [PDF] Joseph Busch, presenter in: session on "What CEOs Need to Know about Transportation Data for Better Decisions" at Transportation Research Board 93rd Annual Meeting in Washington, DC on Tuesday, January 14, 2014, 10:15AM - 12:00PM.
- "The Role of Metadata in Transportation Data Programs" Transportation Librarians Roundtable webinar. Joseph Busch, presenter on February 13, 2:00PM - 3:00PM.
- "Why Semantics Matter" [PPT] and Whitepaper [PDF] Joseph Busch, presenter in: "The Search for Meaning and Semantics: Taxonomies Get It Done" session at SLA 2014 Annual Conference in Vancouver, BC on Monday, June 9, 2014, 10:00-11:30AM.
- "Evaluating Taxonomies" keynote talk and "Taxonomy Workshop" [PDF] by Joseph Busch at the annual Ingeniux User Conference in Seattle, WA on Thursday, September 25, 2014.
- "How have Global Classification Systems Inspired Content Organization on the Web?" [PDF] at 25th Annual SIG/CR Classification Research Workshop on "Universal Classification in the 21st Century" in Seattle, WA on Saturday, November 1, 2014.
- "Making the Main Thing the Main Thing: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Case Study" [PDF] with Ari Kramer, Communications Officer, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Joseph Busch, Founder and Principal, Taxonomy Strategies, and Ben Licciardi, Analyst, Project Performance Company at Taxonomy Bootcamp in Washington, DC on November 4, 10:15-11:45 AM.
- "Changing from a Hierarchical Classification to a Faceted Taxonomy: American Physical Society (APS) Case Study" [PDF] with Dr. Arthur Smith, Lead Data Analyst, APS Journal Information Systems, Joseph Busch, Founder and Principal and Vivian Bliss, Senior Analyst, Taxonomy Strategies at Taxonomy Bootcamp in Washington, DC on November 4, 1:00-2:00 PM.
- "Why You Should Develop Use Cases Before You Develop the Taxonomy" [PDF] with Joseph Busch, Founder and Principal and Vivian Bliss, Senior Analyst, Taxonomy Strategies at Taxonomy Bootcamp in Washington, DC on November 5, 2:00-3:00 PM.
- Joseph Busch, panelist in: "Panel: Ten Years Back; Ten Years Forward" at Taxonomy Bootcamp in Washington, DC on November 5, 4:15-5:00 PM.
- "Why You Should Develop Use Cases Before You Develop the Taxonomy" [PDF] presented by Joseph Busch in: "How to Improve Findability" session at the Gilbane Conference in Boston, MA, December 2-4, 2014.
Archive of presentations from previous years.
[Last updated 2014-12-17]